Monday, August 16, 2010

My Brother Bishops

Earlier this month, I was blessed to participate in the episcopal ordination of the Most Rev. Michael J. Fitzgerald and the Most Rev. John J. McIntyre, who were recently appointed by Pope Benedict XVI to serve as Auxiliary Bishops in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

This episcopal ordination held a unique blessing for me as it was the first time that I, as a Bishop - in my role as one of the successors of the Apostles, - had the honor to serve as a Co-Consecrator of these new bishops along with Cardinal John Foley, Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, and Cardinal Justin Rigali, Archbishop of Philadelphia and Principal Consecrator.

Canon law perscribes that "unless the Apostolic See has granted a dispensation, the principal bishop consecrator in an episcopal consecration is to be joined by at least two consecrating bishops; it is especially appropriate, however, that all the bishops present consecrate the elect together." (Can. 1014)

You can see highlights of the August 6 ordination of Bishop Fitzgerald and Bishop McIntyre in the YouTube video below as posted by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia:



And later this week, on Wednesday, I will be at the Installation of the Most Rev. Joseph P. McFadden as the new Bishop of  the Diocese of Harrisburg, Pa.

Bishop McFadden and I are "twin bishops," meaning that we were consecrated bishops at the same Mass, like Bishop Fitzgerald and Bishop McIntyre earlier this month. Bishop McFadden and I were ordained bishops on July 28, 2004 and served together as Auxiliary Bishops in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia until my appointment as Bishop of Saginaw in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment